Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali have been awarded the Green Key eco-label and therefore join the 2,500 tourism establishments in 53 countries in the world that adhere to the environmental norms set by the Green Key initiative, a point of reference in the hospitality industry for all things green. Green Key is a reputable label awarded to tourism establishments committed to respecting the norms set by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE).
18 January 2017 marks the official launch of the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. Taleb Rifai, Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) said that “The declaration by the UN of 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development is a unique opportunity to advance the contribution of the tourism sector to the three pillars of sustainability – economic, social and environmental, while raising awareness of the true dimensions of a sector which is often undervalued”.
It is with the same mind-set that Heritage Resorts, already committed to protecting the environment through numerous initiatives, is currently undertaking a number of projects while others will be carried out gradually :
– Conduct an awareness campaign to sensitize our personnel about the best practices to adopt at work.
– Install water-conserving fixtures in rooms and communal spaces.
– Create a compost zone in the Domaine de Bel Ombre to reduce food waste.
– Create an organic vegetable garden and an endemic plant garden at Heritage Awali, with plans to implement a similar concept at Heritage Le Telfair.
– Work jointly with local suppliers to ensure their practices are in line with Heritage Resorts’ philosophy, which includes favouring the consumption of local produce.
– Replace all household products with certified, alternative, eco-friendly products.
– Partner with local NGOs to raise public awareness of the issue of environment within our communities.
– Collaborate with the local community to launch a program which aims to educate inhabitants from the Bel Ombre region so they may join the Villa Valriche teams